Monday, October 26, 2009

Never Too Early

Lately in my spare time I have been consumed by the game NCAA 2010 on Xbox. I mean I think the game is a great thing for college football fans who really love football. The thing I love most about it is the ability to recruit and make decisions on which players you will go after each season. Giving them the whole recruiting pitch and what not really makes the game realistic.

Well the same thing is going on across the country. In fact a lot of coaches are getting a jump on some talented juniors, and even more amazing sophomores, that will make an impact come their senior season. On of those possible impact players from the class of 2012 is Deion Bonner out of Columbus, GA. The 5'11 189 lbs. cornerback brings a lot to the table as a recruit. The attribute that sticks out to me the most when I watch Deion play is his ability to use his size and speed to his advantage. He has excellent technique of closing on receivers' hips when the ball is in the air. That coupled with his knack of high pointing the ball makes him into an instant offensive threat ever time he gets the ball. And with running back skills he usually does something positive when he gets it.

Deion being used often as a running back has created a sort of toughness in his game, and he shows it when he comes up and makes tackles on the edge. With continued improvement in that facet he will be a real factor against the run on the next level. The one thing I would like to see him do more of is press coverage since he is a bigger corner. But I must keep in mind that he is extremely young and the sky is the limit for Deion. Once he gets to college I see him developing into a solid corner, if he doesn't grow into a safety, and I think he is comparable to Javier Arenas from Alabama. Check out his highlights and see what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers