Monday, October 19, 2009

A Real Burner

There is one thing that cannot be taught on the football field and that is speed. Speed can beat technique, smarts, and a lot of other learned qualities. If I was building a team I would do my very best to put as much speed on the field as possible, and that is what big time programs like USC, Florida, and Alabama do on a consistent basis.

When I take a look at Martavis Bryant all I see is speed. A 6'4 190lbs. receiver who can flat out run and catch. Bryant a native of Anderson, South Carolina reminds me a lot of Ted Ginn Jr. but a receiver with more catching ability. Bryant does a great job of catching away from his body and tucking it away in traffic. He also does a great job of using his speed on deep balls creating separation as well as never being out thrown by his quarterback. I see Bryant making an instant impact either in the return game our as a receiver. He cannot be covered one on one without a jam and that is difficult as well.

Bryant needs to improve on coming in and out of breaks and running in traffic with a lower pad level to avoid the big hits. But if Bryant adds weight and does not lose speed I see him becoming like Brandon Marshall with college coaching. Check out his amazing highlight and see how speed kills.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers