Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Bouns Post

Hey there readers....I know usually I don't do multiple post in a day, but since I have been absent for a couple of days I decided to make an additional post for my loyal readers. I will continue to talk about creating a strong defensive unit. And I said earlier that the key is having a strong defense up the middle; meaning having a strong defensive tackle, middle linebacker, and safety. After covering the defensive tackle position I will continue with middle linebacker which is near and dear to my heart as my former collegiate position.

This evening I will be featuring a young man that embodies what traditionally a middle linebacker is. Caleb Lavey out of Celin, Texas combines size and strength with an aggressive hitting style that breeds highlight hits often seen on games like Madden and NCAA Live. Caleb stands at 6'4 and weighs 215lbs. While he definitely can add size and strength to his frame he already has the hips and leverage to always square himself in the hole and make the big hit. He also is extremely good at taking on blockers and shedding blockers to make the tackle. Caleb's long stride and surprising speed make him ideal for making side line to side line plays. His speed will allow him to play quickly on special teams. The only improvements I see in his game beside adding weight and size is using his hands better. Since he is such big hitter he often uses shoulders when he could more easily disengage with hands. Also, in pass coverage he needs more flexibility in hips when turning and running with receivers.

Despite these things he is a phenomenal fit for a run stuffing defense, and could possibly play in a 3-4 defense as a pass rushing OLB. The kid has talent and OKL St. has a true gem in Caleb Lavey. Check out his film and see if you agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers