Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Starting Up Front

The other day I was asked a question that required more thought than I had originally presumed. Where do you start when coming up with a strong Defense? As I thought more and more I recalled some of the best defenses I had seen from both college and the pros. While I think cornerback is a highly regarded position, and so difficult to actual produce a superstar corner there are defensive schemes like a cover 2 can mask a lack of talent at that position. And Defensive End is another one that allows you to rush the quarterback without bringing a blitz. Both options are great ways to start a great defense. But in the end my ultimate decision came while watching the Ravens preseason game against the Jets. The Ravens key to defense seemed to be a strong defense up the middle. That meaning the defensive tackle/nose guard, middle linebacker, and safety.

Today I am going to talk about a defensive tackle that really make it happen up front. Louis Nix stands at 6'2 320lbs and comes from the Jacksonville, FL area. What jumps out at me as soon as I begin to watch his tape is his quickness off the ball and his natural power over all the lineman that he faces. Nix, along with his cat like quickness, has a natural low center of gravity for a big man that always allows him to be in good position and be able to push opposing lineman backward. Throughout his film he is constantly in the backfield pushing the pile and disrupting plays before they begin. He reminds me a lot of a Gerald McCoy who is down at Oklahoma right now. If Nix continues to improve he will resurrect the defensive tackle position down at Miami.

Check out his video below

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers